Clinic Dates – July 21 and August 4
Clinics will be held in the Band Hall on the UT campus (2406 Robert Dedman Dr., Austin, 78712)
Please email our Percussion instructor Mr. Oni Lara (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inform him of what clinics you will attend. If you are unable to attend either clinic then you will need to send a YouTube video to that address instead. Audition video submission deadline is August 1, 2017.
Videos should include any versions of the following exercises:
- Eights/legato strokes
- Accent tap
- Double/triple beat
- Rolls at slow, medium, and fast tempi
- Flam exercise
Drumline Clinic Schedule
9:00 a.m. – Check in
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. – Block #1
12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. – Lunch
1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Block #2
What to Bring
- Ear Plugs (Note: these are required, and students will not be permitted to participate without hearing protection)
- Drum Pad
- Drum (if available)
Drumline Clinic Materials
Download and practice the following materials prior to attending summer clinics. Additional audition expectations and music excerpts will be discussed in detail at the summer clinics.
Drumline Audition Procedures
Step 1: Complete the Prospective Member Audition Form online.
Step 2: You must attend at least one of the two summer drumline clinics in order to receive an official invitation to Band Week (where the drumline auditions will take place). It is encouraged that you attend both clinics as these are intended to help prepare prospective members for auditions and the Band Week experience.
Step 3: During Band Week, auditions for the drumline will begin on August 22nd in the Band Hall and conclude on August 23rd (keep in mind that both prospective and returning members are required to attend both audition days).
- Day 1 of the audition process will consists of section playing auditions. At the end of the first day and after initial assessments have been completed, callbacks will be made for individuals to return to audition during Day 2.
- Day 2 of the audition process will consist of a group warm-up, which will work similar to the routine used during the summer clinics (these warm-up procedures are an important part of assessing the Day 2 audition). Prospective and returning members that have made it to this point will perform an individual audition and then we will hold additional section playing auditions as needed. This day will conclude with a meeting to announce the 2017-2018 Texas Drumline.
- After the audition process is complete, if you find that you did not end up making the drumline, your Band Week is not necessarily over! There are additional ways to be involved in the Longhorn Band that include the Big Bertha Crew and the Big Flags.
Chances of making LHB
Each year the Longhorn Band is comprised of approximately 380 band members. Both returning and prospective new band members must audition for the band every year, so your chances of becoming a member of the Longhorn Band are in large measure decided by your positive attitude and your willingness to work hard!
During the fall semester, the Longhorn Band rehearses three times each week: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 6:30-8:30 PM for a total of six hours, and and meets five hours on Saturday before kickoff. During the spring semester, band members perform in either a concert band or a jazz ensemble that meets twice a week for a total of three hours. Most members find that the time commitment is not nearly as demanding as their high school marching band!
The Longhorn Band is a 1 credit hour ensemble course in the Butler School of Music. Register during orientation or the first week of classes.
Cost of membership
Minimal! We are fortunate to receive generous support from The University that covers all of our major expenses during the season. Band members are provided with uniforms, large instruments, and music. Through the band, members will purchase a set of Nike travel and rehearsal attire that is theirs to keep.
Beginning in your second year in the Longhorn Band, you will be eligible to apply for more than $150,000 in scholarship funds offered annually by the Longhorn Alumni Band, the Butler School of Music, and the Texas Exes. Incoming students who plan to major in music are also encouraged to audition for a Butler School of Music scholarship.
The entire Longhorn Band travels to in-state football games and sends a smaller travel band to most out-of-state games. When the football team is selected for post-season bowl participation, the Longhorn Band will also travel to that bowl!