Color Guard Clinics
Clinic Dates – July 14 and July 28
Clinics will be held in the Band Hall on the UT campus (2406 Robert Dedman Dr., Austin, 78712)
Every prospective and returning member of the Color Guard must attend one of the two summer clinics:
Saturday, July 14
Saturday, July 28
Sign up for the clinics through our Facebook event pages, or contact our Color Guard instructor Mrs. Delia Tovar Botbol (firstname.lastname@example.org) to inform her of which clinic you will attend.
You must attend one of the clinics to be invited for the final audition in August during Band Week.
If you are unable to attend either clinic, you must send a YouTube video to email@example.com. Please record a one-minute routine to music of your choosing. The routine must include tosses, use of different planes, and body.
Audition video submission deadline is August 3, 2018.
Color Guard Clinic Schedule
10:00 a.m. – Check in
10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. – Movement Block
12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. – Lunch
1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – Flag Block
What to Bring
- Money for lunch or a lunch
- Comfortable but appropriate clothing – nothing super loose
- No equipment required
Color Guard Audition Procedures
- Complete the Prospective Member Audition Form online
- Attend at least one of the two summer clinics, or submit a video by August 3, 2018.
- Participate in the Band Week audition.
Band Week Audition
- The audition will consist of a flag routine, dance routine and 4 marching stations.
- The audition routine will be taught the day of the audition.
- The dance routine and marching stations will be taught the day before the audition.
- After the audition process is complete, if you are not selected for the Silks section of the Color Guard, your Band Week is not necessarily over! You are eligible to audition for the Big Flags section of the Color Guard.
- Big Flags are the other half of the color guard, they use an 8ft pole instead of a 6ft pole. The moves are grander and not as intricate but are the most visual element of the Longhorn Band.
- Auditions for the Big Flags consist of the 4 marching stations and will be held on the Friday of Band Week.
Chances of making LHB
Each year the Longhorn Band is comprised of approximately 380 band members. Both returning and prospective new band members must audition for the band every year, so your chances of becoming a member of the Longhorn Band are in large measure decided by your positive attitude and your willingness to work hard!
During the fall semester, the Longhorn Band rehearses three times each week: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday from 6:30-8:30 PM for a total of six hours, and and meets five hours on Saturday before kickoff. During the spring semester, band members perform in either a concert band or a jazz ensemble that meets twice a week for a total of three hours. Most members find that the time commitment is not nearly as demanding as their high school marching band!
The Longhorn Band is a 1 credit hour ensemble course in the Butler School of Music. Register during orientation or the first week of classes.
Cost of membership
Minimal! We are fortunate to receive generous support from The University that covers all of our major expenses during the season. Band members are provided with uniforms, large instruments, and music. Through the band, members will purchase a set of Nike travel and rehearsal attire that is theirs to keep.
Beginning in your second year in the Longhorn Band, you will be eligible to apply for more than $150,000 in scholarship funds offered annually by the Longhorn Alumni Band, the Butler School of Music, and the Texas Exes. Incoming students who plan to major in music are also encouraged to audition for a Butler School of Music scholarship.
The entire Longhorn Band travels to in-state football games and sends a smaller travel band to most out-of-state games. When the football team is selected for post-season bowl participation, the Longhorn Band will also travel to that bowl!